Sunday, March 8, 2015
Spring is just around the corner, or so they say as we just moved our clocks forward. The mornings are dark for the time being, but the nights will have a bit more light, which is always a nice feeling after a long day of school. I do hope that each of you and your student is adjusting to the time change.
I want to update you on our curriculum activities in Room Echo. We continue to work on Long Division with and without Remainders. I strongly encourage that you work with your student on their multiplication facts as they are still struggling with them and having difficulties with division. Students will be tested the end of this week or early next week on Multiplication and Long Division as we will begin our next math unit which is Geometry.
The students continue to work in their Literature Circles and are learning how to analyze the book they are reading and starting to have meaningful conversations about what they have read. They continue to work on their reading, writing and grammar skills.
Working in small groups the students are designing and then will build a solar house that can reduce or maintain the internal temperature of the house. They are focusing on the placement of doors, windows and other design features to achieve their overall goal.
As we move into the study of California’s history and the Missions the students are learning about longitude, latitude and cardinal direction. They are designing their own Compass Rose and will be making a needle compass. We have been having a lot of fun using the playground to become familiar with direction.
Upcoming Dates, Events and Announcements:
· Monday, March 9th – Traveling Lantern Theatre Company presenting a Greek Mythology for Kids assembly
· Thursday, March 12th – Fire Pals
· March 16th, 17th and 18th – Early dismissal at 2:00 for As Needed Conferences. Not all students will be having a conference. A sign up sheet will be coming home this week only for those students and parents that I will need to meet with. Please understand that this time has been set aside for these specific conferences only. If you do not receive a sign up sheet we will not be scheduled for a conference.
· March 19th and 20th – No School. Staff Development Conference.
· March 30th through April 6th – Spring Break. Students return to school on Tuesday, April 7th.
· We are in need for Kleenex for our classroom. Donations would be greatly appreciated.
· Classroom Garden. Work is starting on the dirt patch outside our classroom door. The students will be turning this into their garden with some pretty exciting features. We are in the need of potting soil now. Additional information and needs will follow as the project develops.
· Hand Outs Application. In taking every advantage in the use of our iPads; working to reduce the use of paper; and providing parents with an easy method to stay aware of what their student is doing in class we are piloting a new Application titled Hand Outs. I have been working with the developers who have asked STREAM to pilot their application. This program is still in the development stages and our feedback is helping to improve their project. What use to require photo-copying 30 pieces of paper for an assignment now just requires a simple scan and it is routed to the student’s iPad. They do their work on the iPad then return it to me electronically for grading, editing and comments. This project is in its infancy stages, but we are excited to be a part of this project, which is definitely the way of the future.
This is what is happening in Room Echo. Please continue to check out the blog for additional updates and pictures!
February Student of the Month